[geeks] Why I hate Verizon Online

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Tue Dec 5 19:10:21 CST 2006

On 12/5/06, David Muran-de Assereto <dmuran at tuad.org> wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2006, at 4:51 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> <snip>
> > Huh.  I didn't look for business cable offerings.  6 down 2 up, at a
> > decent price, is worth investigating if there's static IP offered.
> <snip>
>
> Yeah, I found it by accident. My consumer connection went down, and
> when I called to find out how long it wold be down, they told me 2-3
> days. When I asked about alternatives, they told me that I could get
> business class service, but that it was "expensive". I was paying $49
> for consumer grade, and the business connection costs me $89 base for
> 6/2 connection with 2 IPs and 4 hour service guarantee, which is the
> most important part for me.

<sigh>  If only the local ISP here were so useful.  My connection goes down
on a regular basis (read "daily").  Tech support is clueless
(unsurprisingly).  I've gotten 2 nasty-grams for going over my usage limit
(but they won't tell me what the limit is).  They DO offer 10M/768K, which
is nice, but apparently the usage limit is the same for the 10M as it is for
the 1M service, so all I do is get my nasty-gram faster.  It runs me about
$80/mo.  They have a "business" class service which is limited to 1M/256K,
gives you 1 static IP (not that my IP has ever changed in the 2 years I've
had their residential service), doesn't have a usage limit (like I could hit
it at 1M), has _NO_SLA_, and costs $300/mo.  $300/mo for slower service and
still being down every day?  I'll pass, thanks.

If anyone else is ever unfortunate enough to live in northeast PA, I'd
recommend avoiding Blue Ridge Cable, but you don't have any other choice,
they are the only game in town.

Cheers,

Caleb