[geeks] Why I hate Verizon Online

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Dec 5 16:25:21 CST 2006

>From: John Francini <francini at mac.com>
>Date: 2006/12/05 Tue PM 04:02:36 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Why I hate Verizon Online

>Comcast Workplace Standard is $95/mo. to start.
>
><http://www.comcast.com/business/Availability.ashx?service=Workplace%
>20Standard%20-%20NE>
>
>1 or 5 static IPs are "optional".  Dunno how much extra that costs; I
>think you'd need to phone them to find out.
>
>The way their Ts and Cs are written, it appears that if you have one
>or more static IPs, you can run servers 'legally'.

Job - 1 had Comacast business service, and it was actually quite reliable and speedy (but we were in the same building as their repair trucks/sub-station, so we had a *great* signal)...

We went for 5 static IPs, since it was only a few $ more than one - IIRC, it was $5/month for one static IP, $15/month for 5 static IPs.

What was odd, was that the "modem/router" hardware we got from themappeared to have a strange limitation - each static IP needed to be on a dedicated port off the router... but the router only had 4 LAN ports, we only had three servers, so it wasn't a problem but I thought it was a bit odd...

Lionel