[geeks] Why I hate Verizon Online

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Dec 5 13:06:39 CST 2006

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 01:57:18PM -0500, Bryan Fullerton wrote:
> I'd regularly hit the limit, so I got a second UUCP account with UUNet
> Canada for overflow -- they were smarter, they just charged for all
> bandwidth instead of limiting.

UUNET in the U.S. was pretty bad. They had a no guarenteed service level,
so one day I ran up about $100 in connect time trying to send
a 50k email message. They also had an interesting billing policy. If
you did not pay by the 15th of the month, you were charged an extra
$50. Considering that the bills did not come out until the second
or third via email and a week later by paper, it made it difficult
to pay them.

I once asked them how they deal with large companies who would never
pay a bill that fast and would not stand for the extra charge and they
just gave me a run around.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838