[geeks] Why I hate Verizon Online

Bryan Fullerton fehwalker at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 12:57:18 CST 2006

On 12/5/06, Sheldon T. Hall <shel at tandem.artell.net> wrote:
> I've had dial-up, ISDN, DSL, and cable-internet accounts in four US states,
> but I've never had an account with a data volume limit.

In 1993, after the company I was working for got irate about the
amount of data I was transferring using FTP via email, I got a UUCP
dial-up account with a local provider that had a hard traffic limit.
I'd regularly hit the limit, so I got a second UUCP account with UUNet
Canada for overflow -- they were smarter, they just charged for all
bandwidth instead of limiting.

I suspect the UUCP limits were the same idea as BBS download limits --
they needed to keep you from tying up the (oversubscribed) phone lines
forever so others could eventually connect.

I haven't had to deal with traffic limits since then.

Bryan