[geeks] Why I hate Verizon Online

Mike F lists at ibrew.net
Tue Dec 5 08:10:44 CST 2006

Jonathan Groll wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 12:32:01AM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
>

>> I just can't beat $17.95/month for 3/512 DSL.  I've had maybe two outages
>> in the past six to nine months that I can remember, and none of them
>> lasting more than thirty minutes
>>

> I always get sickened when I read how cheap US bandwith is.
>
> Here in South Africa, because of monopolistic tendancies from the main
> telecomms provider, I pay something like:
>
> ZAR490.00 (=USD $68) per month for 384kbps ADSL,
>
> BUT and here's the clincher the above price is for an account with a
> 4GiB international cap, so if I exceed total throughput of 4 GiB to
> international hosts my account gets terminated unless I pay more money.
>
> Are there caps at all on the accounts discussed above?
>
> Cheers,
> Jonathan.

US DSL in general, and SBC/AT&T in particular, does not have any
transfer limits. Cable internet service, however, does; download/upload
too much on cable and you'll get a nastygram from the ISP.

BTW I'll second Bill's praise for SBC/AT&T - I've got 6/768 service for
$27.99 US/month and it's rock-solid, in terms of lack of outages as well
as speed-wise. They really went the extra mile to get my DSL service
steady and fast - first, they installed a new line to the pole and a new
NID, and eventually they put me on a remote terminal. I'll bet they
spent more on my line than I'll pay for a year's worth of service.

- Mike