[geeks] IBM rant

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 15:33:01 CST 2006

On 12/1/06, Jonathan C. Patschke <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, Phil Brutsche wrote:
>
> >> 3Ware makes actual hardware RAID devices
> >
> > LSI Logic and Adaptec make 'em too.
> >
> > They use the same drivers as the SCSI RAID cards.
>
> Yes, but they're typically labeled for SAS rather than SATA.  The SATA
> offerings I've seen are just software RAID.

3ware SATA "real" HW RAID, and they even do RAID 5.  And they *might*
work in an EFI box, I got a really cryptic email[0] from 3ware support
on the topic, but don't have an EFI box to test.  I've been wondering
if I could talk a GeniusBar guru into letting plugging one into a demo
MacPro to see what happens.

=Nadine=

[0]"The 7000/8000/9500S/9550SX/9590SE/9650SE do not support EFI
(Extensible Firmware Interface
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Firmware_Interface).  However,
these controllers can be used in systems that support EFI.   For
example, the 9650SE is compatible with the Intel S5000PSL motherboard,
and the S5000PSL motherboard supports EFI
(http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-
na/eng/products/server/boards/dp/s5000psl/feature/index.htm)"