[geeks] Zope/Plone?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Fri Dec 1 12:05:19 CST 2006

On Dec 1, 2006, at 11:58 AM, Bryan Fullerton wrote:

> On 12/1/06, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
>> NOTE: I'm not saying it will eat 19GB of virtual memory, as it has
>> been
>> redesigned, made into a generic platform, etc, but it is still a
>> bloated
>> system.
>
> Are there any commercially supported CMS systems that are not bloated?

There is OpenACS, but it is more of a toolkit where you take the basic
things and heavily customize it to suit your needs.
(http://openacs.org/)

Has the latest buzzwords to be compliant, like AJAX etc (see
http://www.solutiongrove.com/ for one "mashup") .

I am aware of a dual-Opteron, dual-core system with 4GB RAM and fast
disks, that has a custom app built on top of OpenACS that serves some
35,000 users over the course of each month (each user has to maintain /
update information, which requires multiple page views, running of
online reports, filling out of many form-based pages).

Also photo.net, which is a huge photography site, runs on an earlier
version and mostly-fills a T3 (45mbps) during the busy times.

--Patrick