[geeks] Zope/Plone?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Dec 1 10:44:09 CST 2006

Thu, 30 Nov 2006 @ 21:21 -0600, Bill Bradford said:

> Anybody using Zope/Plone in a production environment?  Thoughts?

Some Zope history most people don't know:

I worked at InfiNet in 1995-1998 and we had a contractor writing WWW
apps for us called "Digital Creations".  One of the guys was Jim Fulton,
fairly well known in Python circles, and the other guy I can't remember,
but I think his name was Paul.

Anyway, DC basically ripped us off big time, not that it didn't require
our management's cooperation. There were all kinds of political battles
at InfiNet, and DC was a prime player in the whole mess.

Their big project with us was a real estate program written in Python
that let users look up properties online. Pretty simple really, but DC's
code was huge. It used an object caching system as a database, and it
would eat 270MB just on startup, and leak to oblivion from there.

That was in 1997.

At one point we upgraded the DEC Alpha it ran on to 8GB of RAM and
11GB of swap, just so we could keep the app running long enough to get
something out of it.

Anyway, to make a long story short, those guys went on to form "Zope",
and basically Zope is the descendent of the code they wrote for InfiNet.

Think of it as being to Python what Websphere is to Java.

NOTE: I'm not saying it will eat 19GB of virtual memory, as it has been
redesigned, made into a generic platform, etc, but it is still a bloated
system.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["I wish life was not so short. Languages
take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about." - J.