[geeks] DVD based backup software

Andy Wallis rawallis at panix.com
Mon Aug 28 18:26:23 CDT 2006

On Aug 28, 2006, at 6:13 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Mon, 28 Aug 2006 @ 16:31 -0400, Andy Wallis said:
>
>> Ghost will span volumes. I use it all the time as work to create
>> Windows
>> images.
>
> Can it handle errors in the media?
 From my own experience, Ghost didn't handle media errors too well.
Since the Ghost files themselves were large, and only on the CD, a
media error would stop a restore. Splitting them up further into a
series of smaller files could help.

> Can you pick and choose what files to backup?  That's part of the
> request from the user because there are some files they don't want
> to be
> on backup media.
I typically back up whole partitions, but the Console has the ability
to exclude files or directories. The DOS based backup can do it with
a text file, but I have never tried it.

-Andy Wallis