[geeks] DVD based backup software

Andy Wallis rawallis at panix.com
Mon Aug 28 15:31:40 CDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 02:10:55PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Norton Ghost: can it to multi-volume PC backups, including media
> spanning and incrementals?  I've not had time to look at it, and the
> last version I ever used at work only did mirroring and that sort of
> thing.
Ghost will span volumes. I use it all the time as work to create Windows
images. The "home" edition of Norton Ghost $YEAR will do that as well their
enterprise version, Ghost Solutions Suite. I have not played with the home
game for incrementals. The full suite does allow for it, but you have to use
the Ghost Console. I can't remember the base price, but it is usually about
$20-25 USD for a seat. I do not how much the base price is for the Console and
other goodies.

The spanning and compression works pretty well. By default, it will always
split backups into 2GB chucks as that is the largest file size under FAT. The
compression is a bit testing, I've had to default to fast compression because
the restore process would fail on other machines. I could use high compression
on the master box with impunity. On other machines, it would go down quicker
than a 2 dollar whore.

-Andy Wallis