[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Aug 27 22:28:28 CDT 2006

Mon, 28 Aug 2006 @ 01:24 +0100, Mike Meredith said:

> Whilst UK currency might appear to be based on Roman currency, it isn't.
> The silver penny (the "denarius" although it wasn't called that at the
> time) was introduced in 790 ... a gap of some time. The shilling wasn't
> introduced until 1548 (or possibly 1487).

I was taught that the issue of currency like the shilling was just a
renaming of the roman currencies to make the money 'british'.

That's not uncommon.  France, for example, does that for everything that
smells foreign...

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [Well, I have entered the "metallic years."
Silver in my hair, gold in my teeth, lead in my ass... -- Sheldon Hall in