[geeks] Subversion, two weeks of usage

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Aug 27 11:15:50 CDT 2006

Sun, 27 Aug 2006 @ 01:14 -0400, Andy Wallis said:

> On Aug 26, 2006, at 6:54 PM, Robert Brooke Gravitt wrote:
>
> > I'd be surprised if someone recommended it, as it's been EOL for
> > years. Serena ( was Merant ) sells a completely re-written version
> > called Dimensions. It's sweet.  PVCS wasn't.
> PVCS/Dimensions is OK once you understand why Merant/Serena used an
> Oracle database to handle the data.

How is that?

> change of PVCS to ChangeMan is of the devil.  I've always wanted to
> shoot anyone who figured that that a complex web application will
> always be better than working platform GUI. The Serena abortion will

Welcome to Web 2.0.

A lot of people want to move all applications to the web.

What kills me is that doing Web 2.0 is far more difficult than just
using cross platform GUI platforms, which the industry said was
impossible about 15-20 years ago.

What makes people think that doing it with the multiple fragile layers
of the WWW is going to suddenly work, or be better?

I wish I could somehow convince the industry in some kind of mass
brainwashing that standardized and open data format and protols mean
your applications don't matter any more.

Make those two stable, and you can write whatever applications you want
to use and process data, and it will all work together.

Build huge tons of Web 2.0 and other "write once use anywhere" code but
still refuse to keep data and protocols open, and none of it will
matter.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak
is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime