[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Sun Aug 27 10:04:48 CDT 2006

Mike Meredith wrote:
> The point I was making was that the British (well the English in this
> case) *did* conquer or hold parts of Europe. Was the Duchy of Normandy
> ever part of the British Empire ? No. Would it have been considered part
> of the BE if it was still held at the right time ? Yes.

Well, technically, that's not strictly correct.  Normandy wasn't ever
really conquered by the English.  It was conquered by Danish Vikings and
granted to them by the treaty of Saint-Claire-sur-Epte in 911AD
("Norman" is a contraction of "Northmen").  They retained control of it,
after invading England a hundred and fifty years later, and English
kings often ruled from Normandy until they lost Normandy to Philip II of
France in 1204.  There were several attempts by Anglo-Norman kings to
retake Normandy during the Hundred Years War, but they failed.

Had it still been an English possession in Queen Victoria's time, I
suspect it would by then have been counted not so much a part of the
British Empire, as part of Britain.

--
 Same geek, same site, new location