[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Sun Aug 27 05:20:11 CDT 2006

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 20:25:50 +0200, Joost van de Griek wrote:
> On 8/24/06 10:19 PM, Mike Meredith wrote:
>
> >> the british never conquered europe even if they did briefly gain
> >control of > greece.
> >
> > As they did in some senses most of France (if King John had been
> > luckier, it could well be that the English would be speaking French
> > and the French ruled by an English king),
>
> That was in Medieval times, I wouldn't count that under the British
> Empire.

The point I was making was that the British (well the English in this
case) *did* conquer or hold parts of Europe. Was the Duchy of Normandy
ever part of the British Empire ? No. Would it have been considered part
of the BE if it was still held at the right time ? Yes.

> If anything, the whole of Europe was under the influence
> "Vatican Empire" in those days.

Indeed, but it didn't stop monarchs acquiring territory via conquest,
inheritance or marriage.

> > France (during the Napolionic wars), Spain (ditto), parts of Germany
>
> Those were military campaigns. Neither France nor Germany at those
> times (or any time, really) can be considered part of the British
> Empire.

And I didn't say they were.