[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Sun Aug 27 09:44:53 CDT 2006

On Aug 27, 2006, at 10:16 AM, Mike Meredith wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 09:32:16 -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>> On Aug 27, 2006, at 6:28 AM, Mike Meredith wrote:
>>>
>>> The amount of FUD we get to hear about the Euro is astonishing. As
>>> if a nation could lose it's identity because it changes the
>>
>> I don't expect the Euro to last in its current form, more than 10
>> years.  15 tops.
>
> Out of curiosity, why ? At the very least it's convenient to have one
> currency for those places in Europe that signed up.

What the Euro allows countries to do, depends on the size of the
country.

For instance, there are economic constraints/targets that each country
is supposed to meet, such as "no larger a deficit than 3% of GDP".

A small country would be penalized.  A large country, like Germany,
blew past this percentage in 2004 due to an economic slowdown, but they
were not penalized.

This allowed Germany to basically "export" its problem and spread it
among all the other Euro-currency nations.

Now that may have been a one-time occurrence, but it is precisely those
sorts of stresses that will cause them problems in the future,
especially as more Eastern European countries come on board, which are
at a very different point in their economic development.

Plus, there are huge unfunded pension liabilities in countries like
France and Germany, both of which have low birth rates, rates below the
replacement rate (just as the US has Social Security liabilities).

Countries that have younger populations will be unhappy that economic
policy is being put in place that will favor the old.

Countries that are paying out lots of pension money will have problems
meeting the deficit targets.

Thus I figure these stresses will make the Euro less palatable to both
the British, and the new countries coming in.  By using the "Swedish
loophole" they may decide to be part of the EU but keep their own
currency.

--P