[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 27 08:50:02 CDT 2006

>From: Joost van de Griek <jvdg at sparcpark.net>
>Date: 2006/08/26 Sat PM 12:55:58 CDT
>To: SunGeeks <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Now for something completely geek

<snip>

>I wish there were more suits that understand how you can make people *want*
>to put in a little extra. And that their job is to shield the *actual*
>workers from crap from up-high.

When I managed about 10 software testers a few years ago, I had a policy of NOT asking anyone to work overtime unless it was absolutely neccessary, which it turned out was about once every quarter (testers all worked on independent projects and managed their own timelines). My policy was tht if I asked, it was important - other managers used their employees spare time to make friends in other departments.

And yes, I viewed defelecting flak frm higher-ups as "Job One" - praise from other groups went directly to the employee(s) involved from the other groups, complaints were made to me directly, and I worked the issue with the employee myself.

I can't imagine managing employees anyother way, though many seem to work that way..

Lionel