[geeks] Subversion, two weeks of usage

Robert Brooke Gravitt gravitt at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 17:54:46 CDT 2006

On Aug 26, 2006, at 10:58 AM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> PVCS is, IMHO, complete crap and I can't imagine why anyone would
> recommend it.  It's buggy, loses data, and has terrible
> performance, not
> to mention it doesn't support a lot of platforms.  It's UNIX
> support is
> horrible, and it is frequently excruciatingly slow even on the
> simplest
> tasks.

I'd be surprised if someone recommended it, as it's been EOL for
years. Serena ( was Merant ) sells a completely re-written version
called Dimensions. It's sweet.  PVCS wasn't.

These tools are of particular interest to me, as I've done SCM/
Release Management for the last decade. I spent considerable time
wrangling ClearCase/ClearQuest, CCC/Harvest (now AllFusion Harvest
Change Manager), CMVC (and later TeamConnection, both IBM), ChangeMan
DS, and PVCS at the Enterprise level. I worked several smaller
projects using CVS & Perforce.

Haven't had the pleasure of using Subversion yet, but hoping to find
some time to check it out.

--Brooke