[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Fri Aug 25 16:06:46 CDT 2006

On Aug 25, 2006, at 1:41 PM, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> it's still there though.  in the recent priest pedophilia scandal we
> learned it was a world wide phenomenon, but the word at the vatican
> was apparently 'americans are such pests!  they're -complaining-!'
> and in its wake our new archbishop [0] has been closing churches right
> and left to cut costs so he can pay the substantial fines the diocese
> owes. [1]  parishoners have been objecting most vocally and even
> occupying churches to try and keep them open.  his response?  'i wish
> we all could just put this behind us so we can move forward' - by which
> he clearly means 'i wish they'd all stop complaining and line up behind
> me, so i can move forward'.  he has demonstrated a willingness to
> listen but not to be swayed.

I will point out that the priest scandal is a result of getting rid of
rigorous pre-screening by more senior church officials during the
education phase, and replacing it with a non-Catholic, psychobabble
series of interviews.  Thus the bad priests who could have been weeded
out from the system early escaped detection.

The cardinal in charge that made this change, and has basically escaped
blame, was Cardinal Jean Jadot (French ...) .  He hand-picked the
bishops that got Catholics into this mess.

Of course, like a typical "suit" ("hat" ?), the mess he made will have
to be cleaned up by others.

--Patrick
(not a Catholic, just an observer)