[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Aug 25 12:41:44 CDT 2006

" From: der Mouse <mouse at Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
"
" Yes...but the days when the Church could say "frog" and watch kings all
" over Europe jump are pretty much over, at least for now.
"
" > Admittedly their hold in the 1st world has faded somewhat, but they
" > still carry a big stick.
"
" Certainly.  It's just not nearly as big as it once was - and it feels a
" lot less imperialistic, at least to me.

it's still there though.  in the recent priest pedophilia scandal we
learned it was a world wide phenomenon, but the word at the vatican
was apparently 'americans are such pests!  they're -complaining-!'
and in its wake our new archbishop [0] has been closing churches right
and left to cut costs so he can pay the substantial fines the diocese
owes. [1]  parishoners have been objecting most vocally and even
occupying churches to try and keep them open.  his response?  'i wish
we all could just put this behind us so we can move forward' - by which
he clearly means 'i wish they'd all stop complaining and line up behind
me, so i can move forward'.  he has demonstrated a willingness to
listen but not to be swayed.

sounds as imperialistic as ever to me.  they're just better at hiding
it.  most of the time.

[0] the old one, hit by the scandal, has not been demoted but 'called
to rome to serve the pope'.  he's still a cardinal.
[1] to his credit he's sold the baronial - and i don't use that term
lightly; i've seen it - mansion previous boston archbishops lived in.
i don't recall what it went for but it was -well- over $10M, perhaps a
multiple.