[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Aug 24 18:28:52 CDT 2006

" From: der Mouse <mouse at Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
"
" > there's one other empire whose influence we should reckon - the
" > catholic empire.  for much of the last two millennia the bishop of
" > rome has been more powerful than kings, even in europe.
"
" How about the "American" (USA) empire?  I'm tempted to say its
" influence is even more widely spread than the Catholic Church's was in
" the heyday of their power.  It's a bit less blatantly imperial in some
" respects, but arguably the more dangerous for that.

it has been stunningly capitalist-imperialist, much like the british
in india.  hawaii's 'revolt', deposition of a very popular queen, and
annexation as a us territory was all engineered by pineapple
plantation owners who saw their fortunes going up in tarriffs in the
wake of a us farm produce import bill.  in an independent nation they
would have been subject to it; in a territory they were not.