[geeks] Now for something completely geek

David Muran-de Assereto dmuran at tuad.org
Thu Aug 24 17:32:20 CDT 2006

On Aug 24, 2006, at 17:43, der Mouse wrote:

>>> *I*'d like them well enough, but I doubt either Christians or Jews
>>> would [and maybe Moslems]
>> ironic, since in europe at least the names for all the weekdays are
>> pagan...
>
> North America too, at least in English.  (Moon-day, Tiw's-day,
> Woden's-day, Thor's-day, Frey's-day Saturn-day, Sun-day.)  French I'm
> much less sure of the origins of (lundi, mardi, mercredi, jeudi,
> vendredi, samedi, dimanche - I can see lune-day (=Moon-day) in lundi,
> but the rest are obscure to me).  Spanish I don't even know the words.

Lundi - moon-day
mardi - mars-day
mercredi - mercury-day
jeudi - ?jove?-day
vendredi - ?venus?-day

I don't remember the derivations of the rest. Spanish is remarkably
similar, due to similar roots:
lunes, martes, miercoles, jueves, viernes, sabado, domingo. Sabado is
the sabbath; it conforms to the jewish tradition, and domingo is
dominion in Ye Olde Spanish, I believe - that's really shaky, and
don't quote me to a real linguist.

Dave