[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Aug 24 13:16:38 CDT 2006

" From: Mike Meredith <very at zonky.org>
"
" On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:10:28 -0400 (EDT), Sandwich Maker wrote:
" > " From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
" > "
" > " A lot of civilizations did neat things, but the romans are the ones
" > that " really put it all together into a consistent infrastructure
" > that " survives to the present.
" >
" > yeah, but they have the advantage of being the -last- empire.  i mean,
"
" Well there's some radical historians who claim the Roman empire lasted
" until the fall of Byzantium in 1453 (with admittedly some
" justification), but they're hardly the last empire :-
"
" Ottoman Empire
" British Empire
" Mughal Empire
" and whatever the Chinese were/are should probably count as an empire.

okay, i should have said in europe.  the mughals and chinese
definitely weren't.  the ottomans never got as far as italy, though
they do sort of count.  was their hold on eastern europe ever very
secure?  the british never conquered europe even if they did briefly
gain control of greece.

i was thinking primarily of empires we count as part of -our- history
tree.