[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Aug 24 10:05:15 CDT 2006

Thu, 24 Aug 2006 @ 05:50 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:

> The ads that I'm unable to dodge or block, I tend to use as a boycott
> list.  "Never buy from this company, their marketing department thinks
> I'm an idiot."

Yeah, but unfortunately as time goes on there are too many I can't
afford to boycott.

For example, there are tons of ads for products and the actual company
may not even be aware that the combat advertisements are even happening.

For example, your local department stores which now seem to think it is
a good idea to hang televisions overhead in every freakin' aisle
screaming about all the deals while you try to concentrate enough to get
what you actually need.

I've talked to people who found out their services were being advertised
and that it annoyed people.  They often find out it is part of some
package deal and either were not told or it was hidden in the fine
print.  If they try to stop it, the marketing company just says, "Hey,
we're giving you free advertising!"

So sometimes even the product/service companies are getting screwed by
this stuff.

It's all quite insane.

I played around with a computer game, "SWAT IV" I believe, and in the
game world there are realtime advertisement posters put up while you
play.

You can't even play a game without it now...

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Star Wars Moral Number 17: Teddy bears are
dangerous in herds."]