[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Wed Aug 23 10:27:16 CDT 2006

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Mike Meredith wrote:
> > Cows expect to be milked at a particular time each day.  When you
>
> Only in the sense that they expect to be milked 24 hours (or 12 ?) after
> the last time.

Exactly.  And if you mess with that, it messes with them.  Unfortunately
the rest of the world does adjust so schedules and deadlines shift
twice a year for a production line that doesn't.

> I've tried questioning cows about their perception of
> time, and all they come back with is "Moo?", so I guess they don't care
> if it's 5am, 4am, or @1.34 (whatever that translates to).

Perhaps they need wristwatches.

> > I have a 9 month old baby who has started sleeping through the
> > night since the last time change and wakes up at 7:20am every
> > morning, 7 days a week.  I know in a couple of months she's going to
> > start waking up (and waking us up) at 6:20am because to her it's
> > 7:20am and time for breakfast.  Those of you who will be getting
> > an extra hour of sleep after October are lucky.
>
> So go into work an hour earlier, go home an hour earlier, go to sleep an
> hour earlier.

Sure, I'll just call the people I work with and get them all to come
in an hour earlier and leave an hour earlier.  They can call the customers
on the platforms they support and do the same.  They'll understand.

-DanD

# Everything in excess!  To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
# Moderation is for monks.  -Lazarus Long