[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Aug 21 18:49:37 CDT 2006

Mon, 21 Aug 2006 @ 08:01 -0700, William Kirkland said:

> If I understand correctly, ... (I agree) ...
>
> ... so what we really need to do is stop the use of any information
> provided to 911 operators from being used for *any* purpose other than
> the  emergency.

It's a funny area.

On the one hand, states like Virginia have laws on the books that are
supposed to already do that.

The problem is that they don't seem to be very well enforced, and the
state itself has violated them in several cases.

Technically no government official or contractor can transmit, modify,
or otherwise use your personal information without your consent.

Raise your hand if you believe that actually happens.

I guess we need a way to give the existing law teeth, and of course it
should be national.

Story:

I have a business license in my home town, since I do freelance
consulting (my only employment at the moment).

I do not have a business address, and I do not use my personal contact
information for business communications.

I told the idiots at city services that my address was *NOT* for
business and neither was my phone. The guy said OK. I explained
again that what I meant was that the information was personal, and
should never be published or used as they would normally use business
information. Once again he said he understood. I told him that if I
ever wanted to solicit contacts, I would get a business address and use
them. For the third time, he said he understood and that my contact
information was solely for use by the city.

I'm now on the mailing list of every dumbass business service salesdroid
in eastern Virginia.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Meddle not in the affairs of Wizards, for
thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup." -- unknown]