[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Mon Aug 21 11:33:26 CDT 2006

Quoth Lionel Peterson ...

> If the cell networks didn't automatically set the time on
> their cell phones, I suspect millions of phones would be
> flashing "12:00"...

Heh.  My cheap-ass freebie T-Mobile Samsung doesn't set its own time.

I noticed this when I first got it, but didn't think much of it; I figured
it would set itself when it got around to it.  It didn't, so I called tech
support.  The folks were friendly, but there was obviously a lot of
head-scratching going on.  They insisted that "all their phones" set their
time automatically, that they'd never heard of it failing, was I getting a
signal, etc.

After a while, the guy said "Tell me the model number of that phone again."

"Samsung <whatever>"

"Oh.  One of those.  Errrrr, ummmmmm ...."

So, I have to set the time from time to time, as it not only doesn't set its
own time, it doesn't keep very good time.  Works OK as a phone, though.

-Shel