[geeks] Looking for a Filesystem

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Mon Aug 21 09:53:35 CDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 10:40:03AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Sun, 20 Aug 2006 @ 20:53 -0400, Sridhar Ayengar said:
>
>> Hi geeks.
>>
>> I'm looking for a filesystem.  It needs to satisfy the following
>> requirements:
>>
>> 1.	Read/write under NetBSD.
>> 2.	Read under Windows XP.  Write would be a plus.
>> 3.	Needs to be able to store >4GB files.
>> 4.	Needs to be able to have a fs size >500GB.
>
> I believe there is a driver for ext2 filesystems for Windows that is
> still maintained.
>
> I *think* that there is one for NetBSD as well.
>
> It's really hard to find a nice and universal filesystem.

It seems that most people seem to just use fat16 or fat32 for their
'universal' filesystem, and just find ways around the limitations.

I tend to have cygwin installed on any win32 boxes, which lets me
split(1) large files (>2g) into managable chunks, which I can cat(1)
back together onto a more capable filesystem.  I tend to use my portable
drives like large floppies and copy my data off of them before working
on it, rather than working directly off the files on the external drive.

> This is something the various OS producers need to work on.

It would be nice.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org