[geeks] Dos and similar games

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Thu Aug 17 13:31:03 CDT 2006

Thus spake Michael Parson:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 12:29:35PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> William Kirkland wrote:

>>> ... because they do not properly understand the concept of a poker
>>> face (the biggest asset for every sky marshal is surprise). They will
>>> be beaming with the fact that *they* are the one on the plane with
>>> the bullets.
>>
>> False generalization.
>
> I had a CCW for a while (it expired and I never went to get it renewed),
> and I carried all the time, if you saw me, I was armed.  Only places I
> did not carry were places that I was prohibited to by law.  I bought
> liquor in liquor stores, conducted business in banks, went to church,
> even sitting at my desk at work, even got married, with a pistol on
> me.  If I could have carried a gun into the court house (and my license
> wasn't expired), I would have gotten divorced while armed, but they
> seem to frown on that sort of thing, I couldn't even take my Gerber
> Multi-tool into the courthouse.
>
> If somone posted a sign saying I couldn't carry there, I didn't do
> business with them.
>
> The reason you carry concealed is so no one knows you are carrying.
>
> If you can't have a poker face, you shouldn't carry, there's just too
> much responsibility involved in being armed.

About the responsibility I will agree however I have two things on my mind
after reading some of this thread and similar ones elsewhere:

1) We should allow open carrying of anything that is not a range weapon.
Period.  It would make personal conflicts and the people involved much
more responsible for their actions.  Crime would become less, IMHO,
because someone would always have a weapon on them if they choose and thus
would no longer be an easy target.  Criminals having guns?  Sure they
will!  But what criminal is going to openly mow someone down unless they
have to?  The unknown rewards of the attack would fall below the potential
risk.  There would obviously be exceptions but I think those would be
rare.  This along with nasty penalties for gun related crime - think
pedo-level prosecution - would probably discourage random gun violence.

2) Airplanes:  Issue pepper spray to _every_ adult on the plane then lock
the cockpit. What's the worst that could happen?  You end up with a bunch
of people with pepper in their eyes and a plane landed early.  If the
hijacker manages to smuggle and detonate a bomb then a gun wouldn't have
helped you anyway.

Mike Hebel
----
"It sticks to your mouth like library paste, has a stronger kick than
toxic waste, there's nothing that you'll ever taste like 307 Ale!" - Tom
Smith - 307 Ale