[geeks] Stuff fo' sale

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Aug 17 09:51:30 CDT 2006

Wed, 16 Aug 2006 @ 19:37 +0100, Mike Meredith said:

> > When I was learning to drive, using blanket policy was called
> > dangerous driving, and reality proved it true almost daily.
> >
> > It's dangerous to constantly change speed on major throughways.  Good
> > steady speed is a lot safer than everyone slowing at intersections.
> >
> > A major problem, of course, is that there are often too many
> > intersections on the main artery roads.
>
> I think we're talking about different kinds of roads ... I'm *not*
> thinking of anything that could be called a 'major throughway'. If you
> tried to maintain a steady speed on the road outside my flat, you'd
> be moving at 5mph.

Well, I figure the thread was rather generic, and wasn't focused on
small roads, or intersections with half-stops (only one direction has a
stop sign).

Some of it might just be the USA: since WWII our local governments have
been high on "zoning", a wonderful way to wreck the neighborhood and it
creates the worst traffic systems possible.  Basically it turns all of
your local neighborhood roads into major thoroughfares.

It's what created much of the sprawl effect over here.

Fortunately a lot of cities are starting to move away from it, with
great results.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The strength of the Constitution lies
entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it.  Only if every