[geeks] Stuff fo' sale

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Wed Aug 16 13:52:41 CDT 2006

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> It's dangerous to constantly change speed on major throughways.  Good
> steady speed is a lot safer than everyone slowing at intersections.

Can you imagine the increase in rear-endings if everyone suddenly slowed
at intersections?  It would propagate backwards to the previous intersection,
etc, until suddenly everyone was slower everywhere.  That won't work.

On a 40mph road, I feel everyone should be going 40mph at least through
intersections.  It's FAR easier for people trying to turn if oncoming
cars are going the speed you expect.  Merging is easier too.  I like to
accelerate hard sometimes, but I can't necessarily hit 80 in the length
of some merge lanes.  (I imagine this is partly from intersections built
when the speed limits were lower?)  There there's the people who won't
accelerate up to speed to merge or, even worse, go to the end of the merge
lane and JUST STOP waiting for a huge gap to come along.  This is why
I need smiting power.

-DanD

# Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it.
#     -Thomas Jefferson