[geeks] Dos and similar games

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Wed Aug 16 23:09:43 CDT 2006

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> 2. Why can't the TSA or homeland security issue carry permits?
>    There are politcal issues to be covered, but I expect that any
>    frequent flier who had a CCW permit would gladly take a course in
>    airplane firearm saftey, etc and put up an insurance bond.

The TSA passionately hates the idea of even flight crews being trained
to fly armed, let alone mere passengers.  In fact, TSA hates the idea of
armed flight crews so much they were deliberately sabotaging the FFDO
training program.  Unfortunately for the TSA, their big mistake was
telling people whom they'd arbitrarily washed out of the program under
false pretenses not to talk to Congress about what was going on.

Congress doesn't like it when people are warned not to talk to them.
Last I knew, all oversight over FFDO was being taken away from TSA, and
TSA's stupid rules that bar FFDOs from actually carrying their sidearms
onto the plane were getting the axe.

(TSA imposed some stupid rule that sidearms must be put onto the plane
separately by TSA personnel, in special locked cases that flight crews
are not allowed to open until they're in the cockpit.  By some odd
coincidence, about a third of the few certified FFDOs who actually made
it through the program without getting weeded out for having too much
experience reported that their sidearms went missing while in TSA hands.)