[geeks] Stuff fo' sale

Nick B. nick at pelagiris.org
Wed Aug 16 17:40:40 CDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 02:28:25PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> By definition, the SPEED LIMIT on a 40 MPH road is 40 MPH, if conditions are not perfect, you SHOULD be driving slower.
> In other words, it's a limit, not a suggestion - for fear of being percieved as someone I am not, I have gotten my share of speeding tickets in the past...
> Lionel
I think you've confused "original theory" and "current implementation".  At one
time, long long ago in the dark history of the US speed limits were based on
the maximum safe speed.  This is no longer the case.  Speed limits are in
general legislated to be "X for Y area", and "Maximum safe speed" has next to
nothing to do with it.
(Note that this leads to speed limits being too high as well as too low, though
those seem to get fixed much more rapidly)
	Nick