[geeks] Stuff fo' sale

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Aug 16 12:10:40 CDT 2006

Tue, 15 Aug 2006 @ 14:04 -0600, Dan Duncan said:

> > That's true, but it doesn't mean people should be using them.
>
> I'm not saying people should use them willy nilly as they do.  I just
> want to make sure we don't project a false sense of security around
> handsfree setups as I think this would increase the danger.

Understood.  I agree with you, I was just initially put off by a
threading error in mutt.

> Exactly right.  A number of people also lack the manual dexterity to take a
> hand off the wheel.  When one hand moves right to adjust the radio, the
> other hand follows and since it's gripping the wheel.. well I think we know
> where that goes.

What scares the hell out of me is people who turn the wheel where they
are looking.  Some driver will say "Hey, look at that!" and I just try
not to scream...

> > Me, I give driving priority, and ignore the phone.  But most people
> > can't do that.
>
> I'm the same way.  I was using mobile ham radio long before I had a
> cellphone.  I don't use the cell much when driving, but it's niced
> down to where it doesn't interfere when I do.  I have a headset, but I
> don't have any illusions that it's safer and thus I don't always use
> it because my phone calls are not planned.  (Having to suddenly put on
> a headset requires more attention than picking up the phone.)

Even so, I've pretty much stopped talking and driving.  For one, I find
it annoying, for another, some people refuse to acknowledge that I'm
driving, talkign to me as if I were sitting down, and that *does*
distract me.  I just hang up on them.

My family and friends know this, anyone else... tough rocks.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["I wish life was not so short. Languages
take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about." - J.