[geeks] Stuff fo' sale

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Tue Aug 15 15:04:17 CDT 2006

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > > I would *love* to see an absolute crack down on folks that talk on cell
> > > phones while driving (without handsfree).
> >
> > Why?  Studies show there is no significant difference betwixt the two.
> > Banning handhelds is a feel-good measure by people who don't know any
> > better.
>
> That's true, but it doesn't mean people should be using them.

I'm not saying people should use them willy nilly as they do.  I just
want to make sure we don't project a false sense of security around
handsfree setups as I think this would increase the danger.

> Basically any cell phone use is dangerous for certain people.

Exactly right.  A number of people also lack the manual dexterity to take a
hand off the wheel.  When one hand moves right to adjust the radio, the
other hand follows and since it's gripping the wheel.. well I think we know
where that goes.

> Me, I
> give driving priority, and ignore the phone.  But most people can't do
> that.

I'm the same way.  I was using mobile ham radio long before I had a cellphone.
I don't use the cell much when driving, but it's niced down to where it doesn't
interfere when I do.  I have a headset, but I don't have any illusions that it's
safer and thus I don't always use it because my phone calls are not planned.
(Having to suddenly put on a headset requires more attention than picking up
the phone.)

> The local police will tell you that cell phone use is now a primary
> cause of accidents.

And I believe it.

> Personally I can't understand why people feel the need to use their
> damned cell phones 24/7.

Me neither.

> The other day I had to physically shove a guy out of my way.  He'd just
> stopped in an automatic door going into a store, talking on his cell
> phone.  The world had disappeared for him.  I talked to him, started
> yelling at him, and finally had to physically push him through the door.
>
> Now imagine the same guy talking while driving.

Headset or not, he's a menace.

-DanD

# Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.