[geeks] Stuff fo' sale

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Tue Aug 15 20:07:47 CDT 2006

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Sat, 12 Aug 2006 @ 14:28 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:
>> Honestly, if you can't stop in snow on a full five-second amber before
>> entering the intersection, you're probably driving imprudently fast for
>> the conditions.
>
> During an ice storm in Hampton, VA two years ago, one yellow at a well
> ticketed intersection was below 2 seconds.
>
> Where do you get the five second figure from?

Five seconds is the standard, not just nationwide but in the UK as well
to the best of my knowledge.  Virginia got taken hard on the red-light
camera scam, and was the souyrce of quite a few of the stories of cities
shortening yellow lights to keep from going bankrupt.  I seem to recall
a year or so ago that as a consequence the state had decided not to
permit the cameras any more.