[geeks] Stuff fo' sale

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Aug 15 11:08:31 CDT 2006

Sat, 12 Aug 2006 @ 14:28 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:

> Joshua Boyd wrote:
> > Presumably some people feel it would be unsafe to stop, but if the amber
> > is shortened would be unable to cross through before red.
> >
> > I've had that happen to me in bad weather where I don't want to try to
> > stop quickly in the snow but am going slowly enough that I don't clear
> > the intersection before it turns red.  So far that hasn't happened to me
> > at an intersection with red light cameras, thankfully.
>
> Honestly, if you can't stop in snow on a full five-second amber before
> entering the intersection, you're probably driving imprudently fast for
> the conditions.

During an ice storm in Hampton, VA two years ago, one yellow at a well
ticketed intersection was below 2 seconds.

Where do you get the five second figure from?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["I wish life was not so short. Languages
take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about." - J.