[geeks] HP Journada 720 - $75 (Refurbished, after rebate)

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Tue Aug 15 13:26:48 CDT 2006

On Aug 15, 2006, at 07:06, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> I am still awaiting mine - I also ordered a WiFi and wired ethernet
> card for it - and I probably won't load an alternate OS on the
> device, but w/r/t resale value, if it can run Linux/*BSD it has muh
> more cache/value in the used computer market.

Well, if you're not changing the OS, then you're stuck with (really
crappy) Windows Mobile 2000 or whatever. You can find some software
to make it do cool things, but it actually isn't as nice as if you
loaded it with Linux. I haven't seen anyone bother to get NetBSD to a
GUI state, but I've heard that it's possible, and probably no harder
than doing it on Linux. Linux can run Konqueror, which, is one
example of having vast superiority over Windows Mobile 2000. Konq can
do CSS, flash (if you even want that), javascript, dhtml (...). A lot
of sites really suck on the ancient version of IE bundled with WM2K.
Additionally, sometimes the software for WM2K does exist to do what
you want, but it is hard to find the old version that runs on WM2K,
or the company has even gone out of business, and you cannot procure
the non-demo version.

There was a SomethingAwful thread on this (now archived) which
contained a lot more information and experiences / questions,
including people who kept WM2K. From what I saw there, especially if
you're used to hacking UNIX, you'll probably have to go to more pains
to make WM2K Work Right than you would if you installed Linux.

  - Micah