[geeks] Dos and similar games

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Aug 15 05:57:07 CDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 07:57:20AM -0500, Micah R Ledbetter wrote:
> Can it run flash OK? I would have assumed that would bog it down
> (mainly because it bogs my machine down... ugh). If so, then the game
> N would be a good candidate.

I'll have to look at it. It runs flash animations quite well, but I don't
kown about the games.

> http://www.harveycartel.org/metanet/downloads.html
> oh, but it requires too much screen resolution - 1024x768

Needing to play and needing for the software to run are two very different
things. We have looked into resloution reduction to make the game think
it is running at 1024x768 while the screen is 320x240, or whatever.

I don't want to go into details but I consulted with an expert in the field
of satellite imaging.

> That's good enough for me. USB .11b sticks are super cheap anyway.

So are .11g Ralink makes a chipset that is well supported including open source
linx drivers. D-Link sells it as one of the revisions of the DWL-G122.

> This sounds oh so cool... I can't wait to see it whenever you get it
> finished.

Me too. :-)

> Yeah, sorry. I meant to say that those were examples of the types of
> games that I think do well. I just can't think of any for the PC
> because I've never seen any like that for the PC (they probably exist
> somewhere).

You would be surprised at what was ported to the PC.

> EV: Nova is Windows.

I'll put it on the list.....

> There's also freeciv, but that might be a little taxing.. the version
> I played used gtk2. Maybe it can be built without it. Also, it's GPL,
> so free to distribute.

I think I have GTK2 installed, doesn't xmms use it?

> Another time when I meant to say that it was an example of game t...
> wait, actually, yes, there was! I didn't even do that on purpose.
> (MMX was first released for SNES way back when, and they ported it to
> the PC after that, and the PSP most recently).

Ok, as long as it was not owned by Nintendo, we should be ok,.

> Yeah. I meant, if the *game* has good multiplayer, I'm interested in it.

Sounds good to me. We had Wifi running with a USB dongle in Jan 2004.

> Ha. that sounds pretty awesome.

Yes, If you couple it with an display device that is easier to use than
a small screen you have the perfect mobile workstation.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838