[geeks] Dos and similar games

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Aug 3 09:07:55 CDT 2006

>From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com>
>Date: 2006/08/03 Thu AM 04:23:08 CDT
>To: geeks list <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [geeks] Dos and similar games

>Let's say you went into a store that was selling a handheld gaming unit that
>played "retro" games, and played some games on it.
>
>The first version would play DOS games, Arcade games, native Linux
>games. Later versions would include (many) Windows games.
>
>Which games would make you want to walk out with it?

It sounds dumb, but Doom. If it has a display, interface, and system software robust enough for Doom to run on it (as a straight
re-compile of original sources or as a Linux/Win binary), I'd be tempted. If It included (ewither in the box or availabel for
download) an SDK that allowed you to build and download conventional (Linux and/or Win) games I'd almost certainly buy one - not because *I* would build/re-compile those games, but there is an entire community that would _almost_ overnight.

>Which games would turn you on, but not enough to buy it right away?

Anything available for Game Boy DS/PSP/etc. - why not just buy one of them?

>Which games would turn you off?

goat.cx - the video game. 8^)

Honestly, an old Toshiba Libretto (say, the L110) [0]) would be ideal, if the battery life were extended and the pointer was abit easier to use.

Oh, and price. ;^)

Lionel

[0] See: http://www.silverace.com/libretto/ and http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1803/ . And for the most recent model: http://www.maximumpc.com/2005/08/toshiba_librett.html