[geeks] MS SBS Server - issues and questions

Ian Viemeister sunhelp-geeks at ian.viemeister.com
Sun Aug 13 16:36:48 CDT 2006

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> der Mouse wrote:
> > In particular, this means you mustn't use ghost to save a copy of a
> > damaged partition before you try to repair it.
>
> That is all correct.  Ghost and similar programs (Acronis TrueImage,
> Symantec LiveState, possibly others) are intended for use on healthy
> volumes - system imaging for mass deployment, disaster recovery,
> backup/restore, etc.

Well, their *default* modes are designed for imaging a consistent
filesystem, and they do a very good job of only grabbing what's needed to
rebuild the *partion table* and *filesystems*, rather than the raw device.
This is normally a good thing (faster, smaller image size, etc...)

However, all the commerical systems I've seen have a "dd mode" that will
image every sector, either for "disaster recovery" or (automatically) for
unknown filesystem types, where it *can't* determine which blocks are in
use.

--Ian