[geeks] MS SBS Server - issues and questions

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Sat Aug 12 21:02:20 CDT 2006

> I've picked up a part time job (hooray for keeping busy) with
> a local integrator.  My role is to 'flip' his new clients
> from whatever ad-hoc mess they'd been using* to SBS 2003.

I've been specializing in SBS for a few years now and there's a lot of
pitfalls with automated install / ghosting schemes. Basically, SBS *has*
a giant "script" if you want to call it that, it's the "wizard". The
wizard of course is the "Server Management" MMC overlay. Because so many
of the SBS functions are integrated with other parts of SBS there is no
way to not use the SM. Unfortunatly, the SM doesn't do everything you
might want to do though, so you end up using Exchange manager and SQL
server enterprise manager for some things. I also end up using the DNS
and other MMC snap-in tools for small details that the SM overlooks.

There's a few technical groups I belong to on Yahoo that sometimes are
useful if you'd like me to forward their names to you.

Also, I suggest you become a Microsoft Registered Partner and get the
$300.00 software kit and run SBS in a lab. It's what I do.