[geeks] stupid question: software null modem?

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Fri Aug 11 20:08:03 CDT 2006

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 08:00:31PM -0500, Micah R Ledbetter wrote:
> Since I can't find *anything* except some expensive and questionable
> Windows software on the web, I think that I must be missing something
> here, but is it impossible to use a regular serial cable to do the
> work that you would normally use a null modem cable for, by way of
> some software? I can't even find someone saying "no, that's not
> possible".  Perhaps I am just not strong in the Force today.
>
> (I'm having trouble scrounging a null modem cable up from around the
> house, and I can't get out until tomorrow, if that, to go buy one.)
>
> I'm running mac os x. I can probably find a linux box around here
> somewhere if I need to. Kindly smacks with the cluestick appreciated.

I've never heard of such a thing, and what I understand about the
chip(s) generally involved, I don't think it would work out so well.

You can't re-pin any of the cables you have?  Even the USB->Serial
adapter you're using on the mac?  Just swapping pins 2 & 3 would give
you the basics for send and receive.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org