[geeks] Solaris 10 / OpenSolaris bits to be in next version of OSX

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Aug 10 14:31:48 CDT 2006

Thu, 10 Aug 2006 @ 22:15 +1000, Scott Howard said:

> On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 04:16:23PM -0400, Bryan Fullerton wrote:
> > The general consensus among the Linux and BSD projects (that I've
> > seen) is that the CDDL license Sun has released it under is too
> > restrictive to allow it to be brought in as a native filesystem, but
>
> You've got that backwards - it's GPL that is far too restrictive, and
> has issues with CDDL.  The reverse is certainly not true.  I'm not
> aware of any issues with the BSD license and CDDL (either way around).

You are guilty of being rational.

It is painfully obvious to everyone who isn't a GNU zealot that the GPL
is severely restrictive on your freedom, but it is generally a losing
argument to explain that to some people.

The thing is, some fairly simple changes to the GPL would probably solve
that problem, and probably also have zero effect on the benefits of the
GPL code base.

It's possible that pragmatic minds will resolve this if people really
want it.

I see this as related to things like nVidia drivers in Linux: Linux
cannot survive right now without nVidia on hardware people want to use
so I think pragmatism will force the zealots to back off on the whole
kernel tainting issue.

Likewise if ZFS gets popular enough, I think pragmatism will force a
solution there as well.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["People should have access to the data which
you have about them.  There should be a process for them to challenge any