[geeks] Solaris 10 / OpenSolaris bits to be in next version of OSX

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Thu Aug 10 07:01:39 CDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 02:58:54AM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Mike Meredith wrote:
>
> > You haven't read the documentation have you ? This can be done with
> > ZFS ... either use the raw disk devices (and lose RAID) or create
> > virtual devices on ZFS filesystems that UFS/Oracle/Swap/Whatever can
> > use.
>
> When I last looked at and used ZFS a couple months ago, documentation
> ranged from scant to non-existant.  Man pages didn't seem to explain
> anything like that.

A few months ago would have been before ZFS was available in Solaris 10,
and no doubt whilst the documentation was still being worked on.

> > As for complexity, managing storage through zpool/zfs is easier than
> > :-
> > * AIX volume groups/logical volumes.
>
> Hahahahahahaha.  No.  mkvg/mklv/mkfs, and there you go.  Yes it's three
> commands

zpool create pool data01 mirror c1t0d0 c2t0d0

One command.

> All that and smitty makes smc look like the slow bloated pig that it is.

Umm.. how did we get onto smc?  (Yes, smc is a pig - that's why ZFS
doesn't have anything to do with it)

  Scott