[geeks] Solaris 10 / OpenSolaris bits to be in next version of OSX

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Aug 9 19:50:57 CDT 2006

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Nick B. wrote:

> Ahh, the famous "It's a mainframe, I don't care if it does not look
> like one, and does not act like one, and really bears no resemblence
> to a mainframe.  It is still a mainframe as IBM declared it to be!"

I've never heard IBM refer to an RS/6000 as a mainframe.  The things
they call mainframes tend also to not run AIX.

> AIX is very intresting, but I'd avoid using it to prove points as to
> what's a good idea and what is not a good idea.

AIX is a very, very solid operating system; I'd put it on par with VMS
in terms of maturity and stability.  Yes, it's weird[0].  It does,
however, have a consistent LVM that works (and two very nice native
filesystems, for that matter).  Given that we're discussing storage, and
Sun seems to be boinking the dog, whereas IBM has this stuff figured
out, it seems a very valid comparison regardless of AIX's position on
your list of favorite operating systems.

[0] "Weird" is, of course, a function of what you're used-to, also.
     HP-UX is sufficiently weird in its own ways, as are Solaris, IRIX,
     and every other Unix.
--
Jonathan Patschke    )   "A man who never dreams goes slowly mad."
Elgin, TX           (      --Thomas Dolby, "Valley of the Mind's Eye"