[geeks] Dos and similar games

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Fri Aug 4 09:00:31 CDT 2006

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 09:12:24AM -0400, William Enestvedt wrote:
> Oooh, don' forget Time Pilot! And Oregon trail!

ok, I'll look at them. Note that this list has two purposes:

1. Games I'm putting in the demo proof of concept unit and later
   the prototypes.

2. Games that don't make it there, become the top of the to be packaged list.

Since the games run unchanged, but require compatability information for
input, we are going to release the compatability information for those
people that already own a license for the game and want to install it
themselves.

For those that don't, we will try to get permission to sell a license.
The license will include a ready to run package.

We also intend to release the compatability information specs so that
you can "roll your own" and publish them on our website.

Many of the games need nothing as many of the DOS games use the arrow
keys, return, escape, shift and control. Windows games use them and a
mouse or joystick, which we can often detect "on the fly".

The compatability information is not part of the game itself, reverse
engineered code or logic, etc. No copyright or DMCA issues.

>    *swoon* Good call: I have a few things that I would like to plug
> right into my computer but which require me to dig around and find a
> cable or adapter unit to use: fie on them.

I expect that it will have a small USB port on it like a phone for computer
connection (a fairly standard cable) and a regular A type USB port for
connecting things. It's a matter of what we can get people to tell us
what they want and what's available.

>    Why not do it through one of those USB wireless adapter thumb things?

We've done, that for over two years. That's why the USB host port is on
the TOP.

>    Oh, and can I read a text document on it? I have lots of handy
> information saved on a thumb drive, but I need a PC to read it; if I
> could store your little game device in my bag and use it as a powered
> notecard from time to time, I would be delighted.

It runs Linux. It it has a X86 processor.It can run a browser, file
reader, etc. you can even use cat and more, I don't care. Under the menu
system is a 55x15 character Xterm. This reads very nicely on the 1/4VGA
screen. As the screen gets better, or you want to change the character
size, you can have anything you want.

When the menu gets replaced by a GUI, you can add any kind of reader you like.
If Adobe produces an low load X86 linux version of Acrobat reader, we'll
include it as an option (license permitting), if not Xpdf.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838