[geeks] Solaris 10 install on x86

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Mar 30 00:47:12 CST 2005

Tue, 29 Mar 2005 @ 18:43 +1000, Scott Howard said:

> On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 09:51:16PM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > I just tried again and wrote down the screen where it hangs.  It's
> > actually still in the boot process.  The screen is gray background, dark
> > text, and says:
> >
> > 	SunOS Secondary Boot Version 4.02
> >
> > 	    Solaris Booting System
> >
> > 	Running Configuration Assistant...
> >
> > After this screen shows, it hits the DVD twice briefly, and then nothing
> > else happens.  It appears it's not even getting to the next stage of the
> > boot at all.
>
> That's well before it thinks about Windows or Java (it's still running
> in real mode at that stage).

Right, "still in the boot process".

It would be nice if it gave some clues like Linux and *BSD does, even if
only a register dump that could be reported back to Sun.

> Try turning off anything special in the BIOS and see if that makes any
> difference.

So far no joy, but I've not had time to really go through it all.  Just
USB and a few other things toggled on and off.

It looks like it is snooping hardware when it dies, so it would be
helpful if they would dump some debugging info so you could at least get
some basic information.

Sun could learn a lot from other x86 OS installers.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The strength of the Constitution lies
entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it.  Only if every