[geeks] Solaris 10 install on x86

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Mar 28 20:51:16 CST 2005

Mon, 28 Mar 2005 @ 21:20 -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo said:

> On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 09:12:34PM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > I've been trying to install Solaris 10 on a 64-bit Athlon system, with
> > little luck.
>
> I have run it on both a 32bit x86 and a 64bit x86 dual-Opteron, so it
> does work on some hardware.

Yeah... everything except my hardware for the last ten years... :)

> > It boots, does some init, and then displays a message saying it is
> > starting the installation program.  This is a screen that's either beige
> > or light gray, with dark text (blue or something).
>
> There should be a way to choose the text-mode installation (choice #4).

I never see a menu.

I just tried again and wrote down the screen where it hangs.  It's
actually still in the boot process.  The screen is gray background, dark
text, and says:

	SunOS Secondary Boot Version 4.02

	    Solaris Booting System

	Running Configuration Assistant...

After this screen shows, it hits the DVD twice briefly, and then nothing
else happens.  It appears it's not even getting to the next stage of the
boot at all.

> > My hardware (which some people say works)::
> >
> >     AMD64 3000 CPU
> >     Asus K8V-X motherboard
> >     nVidia FX5700 GPU
>
> Any chance you have a different graphics card to put in there
> temporarily?

Nope.

Others are running on nVidia FX5700 cards, though Solaris x86 has always
been funny about video.  It should work anyway.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [javalin: an unwieldy programming weapon used
to stab a software project through the heart until dead]