[geeks] Solaris 10 install on x86

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Mar 28 20:12:34 CST 2005

I've been trying to install Solaris 10 on a 64-bit Athlon system, with
little luck.

It boots, does some init, and then displays a message saying it is
starting the installation program.  This is a screen that's either beige
or light gray, with dark text (blue or something).

After that it hangs.

Others report this same problem, and it seems a lot of times the problem
is the Java installer failing, or failing to start graphics, even if
your card is support or has VESA capability.

Since I'm booting with the DVD, I don't know how to make it use a text
install.

The shell script which is run during the DVD boot runs:

    /<mount/.install/install_common

...which is another shell script which launches the Java installer.

Surely Sun was not stupid enough to make Java the only install option if
you use DVD...

I've tried a few common keystrokes during boot, but it still hangs.

I'd give more information, but I don't really have any.

Any ideas appreciated.

My hardware (which some people say works)::

    AMD64 3000 CPU
    Asus K8V-X motherboard
    nVidia FX5700 GPU

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["And in billows of might swell the Saxons
before her,-- Unite, oh unite!	Or the billows burst o'er her!" -- Downfall