[geeks] OSX Server

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Mar 18 12:22:43 CST 2005

Thu, 17 Mar 2005 @ 23:11 -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke said:

> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:
>
> >Although this is also pandemic to Windows too, create a small VisualC
> >anything and you end up linking with everything plus the sink and
> >kitchen brush.
>
> Not true.  If you stick with the Win32 API[0] instead of MFC, it's easy
> to get applications in the 128K range that get a lot of work done.  This
> may not be the case in the .NET era, but I routinely had tiny
> executables when I used Visual C++ 6.

Many of the Gnome executables are tiny too.  The 24MB mixer applet is
only 37K on disk.

It's the VM size when loaded that is huge.  Since most of it is shared,
it is the dependencies that bother me the most.

Win32 and the internals of Windows are very complex and represent an
acute form of dependency hell of their own.  This is without considering
MFC and other add-ons.

Almost no Windows software sticks with only Win32, so the problem is
largely the same for the average Windows user.

UNIX and Windows manage memory differently, and report usage
differently, so comparison is not simple.

> [0] Which is really a Damn Fine API, Hungarian notation aside.

I never did like it much.

Not that things like Xlib and the broken bits of libc are pretty...

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["That which is overdesigned, too highly
specific, anticipates outcome; the anticipation of outcome garantees, if